Go, Go, Go Joseph!

Joseph & His Coat Come to Cape Town

Source: wikipedia
 
The wonderfully camp Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice classic, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, is currently on at the Theatre on the Bay and I finally got the chance to see this colourful production last week. This was my first time at the charming Theatre on the Bay. As we arrived in Camps Bay, we were treated to a pre-show from Mother Nature, who provided us with an amazing technicolor sunset over the Atlantic Ocean. There is no doubt that the Theatre is located in an ideal spot. I will admit that I was sceptical about such a larger-than-life production being staged in such an intimate venue but I was certainly proved wrong. Hats off to the production team!

It was also the first time that I had ever seen a production of Joseph. Until then, my knowledge of the musical was based on events from my childhood: Bible stories from the Sunday School years (stories which have become increasingly hazy over the years) informed my understanding of the plot while the notes of Any Dream Will Do are forever etched into my mind after having to play the piece (repeatedly) on the recorder in primary school. I also vaguely recalled that Jason Donovan was the ultimate Joseph.

The Cape Town production boasts a stellar cast (and let's be honest, one with a plethora of eye candy) with the likes of Earl Gregory as Joseph, Bianca Le Grange as The Narrator and Jonathan Roxmouth as Pharaoh. The night we saw the show Joseph was played by the understudy, Richard Gau, who did not disappoint and was mesmerising as the lead. Bianca Le Grange was made to be on the stage - such an incredible voice and stage presence. But it must be said that the Elvis-inspired Pharaoh stole the show. The audience was in love the minute he stepped onto stage; an awesome interpretation of such an iconic character.

The costumes were spectacular - so much sequins, so much spandex, so much sexual innuendo. My favourite costumes featured in the uber sexual Potiphar sequence as well as the scenes in Egypt. The chiselled physiques, that deserved credits in the programme, were almost enough for me to feel guilty about the luscious brownie I devoured during the interval - almost. I also loved the projections onto the back of the stage and the creative use of lighting, particularly the scene where Joseph is imprisoned and beams of light create the illusion of prison bars. In addition, local references, such as the Gupta airplane and the various African beaded props, were a great touch.

The first half of the show seemed to fly by and before we knew it, it was time for two of the best songs from the show, Close Every Door and Go, Go, Go Joseph to signal the end of the first Act. I LOVED that the show ended with a Joseph Megamix featuring a club-friendly mash up of some of the show's songs that had the entire audience clapping along and screaming for more.

If other Bible stories had been presented like this, with sparkly costumes, catchy songs, high energy dancing and ridiculously good looking actors, the church might have kept me in its pews. It is a fantastic production that has stayed true to the classic but also feels fresh for contemporary South African audiences. Two thumbs up from me.

Comments