Top 10 Songs of 2016

Thank You For The Music 2016

 
 
10. Kill 'Em With Kindness - Selena Gomez


Throughout the year I had to deal with disrespect and disappointment on several fronts and this song was a reminder that sometimes the best way to deal with difficult and demanding people, both adults and teenagers, is to overwhelm them with kindness instead of resorting to anger. Besides bringing a message that resonated with me, the song is also a great dance anthem with an infectious whistle hook, taken from Selena's 2015 album, Revival, but released in 2016 as a single.

9. Faded - Alan Walker


It did not take long for this song by Norwegian EDM artist Alan Walker to make its way onto my list of favourites for the year. I love the combination of ethereal vocals, courtesy of Iselin Solheim and a solid electro dance beat. This song was played a lot on local radio and on more than one occasion, while driving home after a long day, I turned up the volume and just let it wash over me.

8. You Say You Love Me - The Kiffness feat. Tawanna Shaunte


This song is as fierce as the music video that accompanies it. Shot in Cape Town, the video features Manila Von Teez, a renowned performer in the Mother City, who is mesmerising as she struts her stuff through the streets, undressing an regular intervals. The song is a powerful dance anthem with killer vocals from Tawanna Shaunte. South African music at its best. A shout-out to The Kiffness for using their voice in the music industry to stand up for the rights of those who are often denied a voice. The following statement appears on the band's website:

"The opening words of the song 'You say you love me, but you don’t' ring true for many people who feel they have to pretend to be someone else for fear of what society may think of them if they were to reveal their true selves. Our hope is that this song and video encourages and empowers not only the LGBT community but anyone who feels ostracised for who they truly are. We challenge you to never be ashamed, and to always be proud of who you are."

7. Thinking About You - GoodLuck


If GoodLuck releases new music, it is guaranteed to make it onto my Top 10 list at the end of the year. The band was very busy in 2016 and their hard work culminated in the release of the highly-anticipated The Nature Within, which is an incredible album that features some of their previous releases such as Back in the Day (with De Hofnar), Kota (with Black Motion) and this cover of the Londonbeat classic. Other favourites from the album, which is this summer's must-have soundtrack: Be Yourself (with Boris Smith) and If I Had a Penny.

6. One Strike - All Saints


This is such a great song, take from their fourth studio album titled Red Flag. From the first time I heard it, I was transported back in time to the golden years of Pure Shores and Black Coffee. All Saints have managed to hold on to the sound that made them so brilliant back then, dominated by synths, guitars and percussion, while at the same time the song feels fresh and current.

5. Perfect Illusion - Lady Gaga


I will confess: I was a little disappointed and confused by Perfect Illusion when I first heard it. However, after a second listen I realised I liked it and by the third listen, I was in love and my faith in Gaga had been restored. There are some pretty amazing remixes of the song out there, including a fabulous mash-up with Madonna's Papa Don't Preach, which has also been on repeat. Perfect Illusion was the first single from Joanne, which despite not receiving the best reviews, is slice of pop heaven that gets this little monster's paws up.

4. You Don't Know Love - Olly Murs

This song was an instant favourite though I can't quite identify why. It's just one of those brilliant pop songs that make you want to turn up the volume and sing your heart out (and hit the dancefloor too thanks to several remixes).

3. Just Like Fire - P!nk


It seems P!nk can do no wrong. She champions the underdog, celebrates the freak, reassures the weak while simultaneously making sure that everyone has a damn good time:
"Just like fire, burning out the way
If I can light the world up for just one day
Watch this madness, colourful charade
No one can be just like me any way"
Just Like Fire was used in the film, Alice Through The Looking Glass, and as such, the music video features a wonderland of wonderful weirdness that is the perfect compliment to "madness" and "colourful charade" referenced in the song.

2. Send My Love To Your New Lover - Adele


This was my favourite track from the 25 album, one which seemed to carry a theme of letting go of ghosts of the past. Its simple and trippy video, featuring multiple iterations of Adele in a sophisticated long-sleeved floral gown, was also a firm favourite from the past year. Other favourites from 25: Hello, Water Under The Bridge and River Lea.

1. The Greatest - Sia


I loved this song from the first time I heard it; I loved it even more when I saw the video and its tribute to the victims of the Pulse shooting in Orlando, one of the lowest points of 2016 in my opinion. Several times this year I felt as though I was running out of stamina so this song was a wonderful reminder from the Universe not to give up because "I'm free to be the greatest".

Comments