Roxette: Still Rocking

Good Karma



I have been a devoted Roxette fan since they went "na na na na na" back in 1988.  I still have Look Sharp! on vinyl, an album which remains one of my favourites of all time with hit singles like The Look, Dressed for Success, Listen to your Heart, Dangerous and other pop perfection like only the Swedes can do - Sleeping Single, Chances and Dance Away being my favourites.  I can still recall the thrill of tearing open the wrapping paper concealing the newspaper print cover of the album on Christmas morning of 1988.

I have been fortunate enough to see Roxette live twice, once in New York City and once in Cape Town.  Both shows were after Marie's long road to recovery following her brain tumour which included learning to walk and talk again.  At both shows I was filled with admiration for this woman, who despite visibly struggling, put her heart and soul into every song she performed.  No one cared if she missed a line or two or got the lyrics wrong.  By the time I saw them in Cape Town, she had to remain seated for the duration of the show after being assisted onto stage.  But there they were, singing the hits from my childhood and teen years while I sang with them, reveling in every word with the biggest smile on my face.

Needless to say I was saddened to hear that they will not be touring again.  However, the sadness was countered with the news of a new album, released in 2016.  After months of waiting for the price of the album, Good Karma, to come down (why was it so expensive to begin with?), I managed to get my hands on it thanks to a good deal on takealot.com.  It was worth the wait.  The album is a somewhat of a patchwork of the Roxette sounds that I've come to know and love over the decades but at the same time it feels very fresh.

Per takes the lead on the the first track, Don't Cha, while Marie provides back-up vocals. It is one of my favourites with a catchy hook and chorus.  Next is a beautiful ballad reminiscent of Listen to your Heart, It Just Happens.  The single has a timeless message about falling in love, in true Roxette style: "Love will always find a way".  The title track, Good Karma, is one of the best tracks on the album and has a Fading Like a Flower feel to it, from its piano intro to the powerful chorus.

This One has a retro feel to it (think Blondie's Call Me) with a nod to the past and an affirmation that they've still got it in 2016: "I'm still leanin' on the record machine / Oh gimme a coin and I will kick off a dream / In 2016".  The duo get a little darker on You Make It Sound So Simple, with heavier beats, some autotune and a commentary on the state of the world: "The world sinks in corruption / I'm waiting for an interruption / Is it all in my head? / It's getting confusing".  The somber mood continues to From a Distance, with references to anger and loneliness, hunger and thirst.  Nevertheless, Marie's gentle vocals stand out on this track.

Some Other Summer brings the promise of better days with an optimistic refrain: "You will do better" because the "crash will make you strong".  Their signature piano intro is used once again on Why Don't You Bring Me Flowers?, a ballad about heartbreak and unwavering commitment.  The next song, You Can't Do This To Me Anymore, features Per's gritty vocals that take you back to the verses of The Look before the "you can't do this to me" refrain kicks in.  I wasn't sure what to think of it at first but after the second listen it really grew on me.

20 BPM is one of my least favourite songs, perhaps a little too heavy for my taste.  The album then concludes with April Clouds, which sounds a lot like the duo's farewell message to their fans:  "Wherever you'll go / And whatever you'll do / I pray for peace in your heart / May wishes come true".  A beautiful song to wrap up a great album.

It remains to be seen if the duo will continue to record, despite not touring anymore.  I certainly hope so.  But if not, I think the album would be a fitting final addition to their amazing discography.  After all of the good memories, the iconic videos and the timeless hits I'd say Roxette has earned some good karma.

Comments