Afrikaners is Plesierig

Dan maak hulle SO...


I am English-speaking but I attended a dual medium high school  where I developed my second language skills - in fact, I received an award for the most bilingual student in my final year (the long-standing joke being I was completely "bi" in high school).  My affinity for languages notwithstanding, high school was where I developed a deeper love for Afrikaans culture.  I had an incredible Afrikaans teacher who instilled a love for the language in me which then extended to Afrikaans music and pop culture.  One of my favourite high school memories was our senior trip to the KKNK (Klein Karoo Nasionale Kunstefees) in Oudtshoorn.  After the visit to the festival we had to do a project (because high school students can't just have fun - there must always be a project attached to it) and I was placed with the home language group because the teacher felt that my Afrikaans skills were strong enough.  And it was the greatest compliment she could have given me.

My love for the language is stronger than ever and I have developed a new appreciation for Afrikaans music since moving to the northern suburbs of Cape Town.  So I was very excited to get one of the last remaining tickets for this year's Afrikaans is Groot show.  Here are some of my highlights from this top notch production, which exceeded my expectations in terms of its scale and the attention to detail, from the stunning costumes and amazing dancing to the breathtaking projections and backdrops.

Laurika Rauch performing Ek Het 'n Huisie By Die See and Klein Tambotieboom (with the incredibly talented Loki Rothman).  Laurika is like royalty when it comes to Afrikaans music and I had goosebumps from the moment she stepped onto the stage, first in a flowing black ensemble and black gloves and then in a crisp white outfit befitting her regal status.

Karen Zoid performing As Musiek Begin Speel.  The song was written for her son and  in my opinion, remains one of her most beautiful ballads.  Later Karen made another appearance, this time as the super talented flutist Marinda Senekal with her rendition of Naweek Lyfie, in one of the "audition" videos for Afrikaans is Groot.

Dewald Wasserfall performing Jy Is Die Storm.  This song featured a massive waterfall cascading from the ceiling with shirtless dancers underneath.  Dewald, in a dramatic black coat, ended the song under the water as well, not missing a note.  You could almost hear the collective gasp of the audience at the apparent waste of water (given the city's drought and severe water restrictions) but we were informed that the water was in fact from Gauteng, driven down in tanks for the show, and that it would be recycled.

Karlien van Jaarsveld suspended from the ceiling, wearing a massive billowing skirt, beautifully illuminated, which was later detached, leaving her to do some impressive acrobatic moves in the air.

Emo Adams' "audition video" in which he claimed that he and Bobby van Jaarsveld could be twins and suggested Juanita try some sexier moves, which he proceeded to demonstrate.  His performance on stage was interspersed with some hilarious comedy routines and even a disappearing trick which I am still trying to figure out.

Corlea Botha's apocalyptic-themed Ek Skyn (Heilig) performance - I later discovered this song was originally a hit for Fokofpolisiekar.  At first I was confused by the voluminous contraption on her one shoulder but then realised it was armour and the theme of the performance became apparent and I could not take my eyes off the stage.  I loved the dark theme, enhanced by the chaotic projections on the backdrop and the Druid-like figures on either side of the stage.  Brilliant!

For anyone who believes the argument that Afrikaans is a "dying language", think again.  Better yet, get yourself a ticket to next year's Afrikaans is Groot and experience the passion and beauty of this language through its music.  Karen Zoid put it so eloquently, as she often does, in her acknowledgements on her Zoid Afrika album:  "...hierdie harde, direkte, jong taal is tog my moedertaal, gebaretaal and liefdestaal."  It may not be my mother tongue but I am proud to call it my second language and I will continue to support the music and artists who celebrate it and keep it alive.


Comments