Cape Town Bucket List

Four Years of Fantastic Memories

 

I have been fortunate enough to call Cape Town home for the past four years.  In that time I have met so many wonderful people and created incredible memories that will last a lifetime.  As my time in the Mother City draws to a close, I have been feeling very nostalgic which in turn has prompted me to reflect on some of my favourite Cape Town experiences.  It is with some satisfaction that I can look back and say that I have ticked off everything on my current CT bucket list.  However, I also know that I will continue to add to the list because I will be back to experience more of what makes this city one of the most stunning and sensational cities in the world.  Here are my top 10 favourite experiences, in no particular order.

10.  The Artscape Theatre
I have seen some incredible shows at this iconic theatre, my favourites being Singing in the Rain, Westside Story, Nataniel, The Parlotones with the Zip Zap Circus and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (this was hands down the best I’ve seen in CT).  Some friends disagreed with me regarding the retro glass chandeliers on the upper level of the theatre (the word ugly was used by some) and perhaps the interior could use a makeover.  But I love the theatre and am grateful that CT has a space to present large-scale Broadway quality productions.


9.  A stroll through Company’s Garden
This hidden gem in the middle of CT offers visitors a little oasis in the middle of the congested and noisy CBD.  Besides assertive squirrels and pigeons, the garden boasts a beautiful rose garden, a Japanese  garden, the oldest cultivated pear tree in South Africa and an aviary.  The South African National Gallery is located at the top of the gardens and features exhibits from the African continent and beyond (the Asian puppet exhibition was one of my favourites) as well as a Planetarium and the South African Museum, the oldest museum in sub-Saharan Africa.


8.  A stroll along the Sea Point promenade
With unbeatable views of the Atlantic Ocean, the promenade stretches along the ocean and offers the perfect area for pedestrians, joggers (often shirtless) and cyclists to enjoy the outdoors.  Sunset is a particularly magical time to experience the promenade.  The adjacent parks include public art (such as the gigantic pair of spectacles that look onto Robben Island), play areas for children and gym equipment for energetic adults or simply a place to throw down a blanket and enjoy a picnic.


7.  The Labia Theatre
The oldest independent cinema in CT (established on 16 May 1949) had a makeover recently but has retained its old school charm and quirkiness that has made it such an institution.  Tickets are more affordable than mainstream cinemas, as are the snacks and drinks, while “art” or foreign films that are not typically screened on the mainstream circuit find a place at The Labia.  The fact that patrons can take alcohol into their movie is also a plus. 


6.  The V & A Waterfront
While this is a tourist mecca, it remains one of the best places in CT.  There is always something to see or do at the Waterfront, and no matter how many times I visit, I never get tired of it.  Besides the retail aspect (especially the massive H&M store), the Waterfront is a hive of activity and attractions, including the giant Ferris wheel, the Market on the Wharf which has an overwhelming number of delicious food options for hungry visitors, the Watershed, the Aquarium, performances at the amphitheatre, and most recently and notably, the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary African Art which is a world class addition to the Waterfront area.


5.  A hike up Lion’s Head
As someone who is the first to admit that I am not the fittest, I was a little intimidated by the thought of climbing this iconic mountain.  But I put aside my fears and, with a little help from my friends, made it all the way to the top, despite the wet and misty conditions which made the hike a little more challenging.  Unfortunately, the heavy mist meant that I was not able to get any pictures of the views from the summit but perhaps not being able to see exactly how high up we were (669 metres – over 2000 feet) wasn’t a bad thing.  I now understand why so many people rave about this experience.


4.  First Thursdays
One of the most exciting nights in the city, when the beautiful people from all walks of life wander in and out of the many art galleries in the CBD and enjoy the offerings of the trendy bars and restaurants in the area.  On these nights, there is a palpable energy that runs through the streets and you feel part 
of something unique. 


3.  A visit to a market
They say you will always remember your first and since the Old Biscuit Mill was the first market I visited in CT, it remains at the top of my list of favourites.  Located in the trendy part of Woodstock, the space includes a market, several cool retail stores and galleries, a chocolatier, the famous Test Kitchen (way beyond my budget) and the super fun escape game, Hint Hunt.  However, there are several other markets that I have thoroughly enjoyed and visited regularly, including the Bay Harbour Market in Hout Bay, Root 44 in Stellenbosch and the Mojo Market in Sea Point.


2.  Sunset over Camps Bay
Camps Bay remains my favourite beach and I never tire of walking along the white sand or sitting on one of the rocks on the beach and watching as the sun sets over the horizon, painting the sky with strokes of orange, red and pink.  Watching the sunset while enjoying a cocktail at one of the many bars along Main Road is even better. 


1. Open-air concerts at Kirstenbosch
The Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens provide a striking backdrop for any concert.  The audience can bring blankets and picnic baskets and enjoy fabulous music in the middle of nature.  Some of my favourite concerts at this venue have included GoodLuck, Mango Groove (a New Year’s Eve concert), and most recently, Texas. 


I refuse to say goodbye to CT; instead, it will be a “thanks for the good times, until we meet again”. 


Comments