Movie Music Challenge


Inspired by a 30 day music challenge I found on Facebook, I decided to create my own challenge with a movie music theme.

Day 1:  A song from an 80s movie
Hungry Eyes – Eric Carmen
There was no other choice when it came to an 80s film, with classic lines such as “I carried a watermelon”, “don’t put your heel down” and of course, “nobody puts Baby in a corner”.  This particular song plays when Baby, Penny and Johnny are working hard to get her ready for the show where Baby is to impersonate Penny.  The montage includes them hard at work in the dance studio and the awesome clips of Baby trying her best not to giggle when Johnny runs his fingers down her arms.

Day 2:  A song from a movie musical
Another Suitcase in Another Hall – Madonna
Evita is my favourite musical and needless to say, Madonna is my favourite Evita.  This song is also quite appropriate to the transitional period in my life at the moment, asking “so what happens now?”

Day 3:  A song from a Madonna movie
American Pie – Madonna
Since it what my challenge I had carte blanche when it came to the categories so I decided to include a Madonna category.  Although The Next Best Thing did not win the critics over, I enjoyed it and the soundtrack which features Madonna’s version of American Pie and the hugely underrated Time Stood Still.

Day 4:  A song from an Oscar nominated movie
Let the River Run – Carly Simon
Taken from the soundtrack to the 80s feminist film, Working Girl.  After watching it way back when, I always had the fantasy of riding the Staten Island ferry, wind in my hair and the song playing in my ear.  I did ride the ferry a couple of times but I can’t think that it was ever with Carly Simon playing in the background.

Day 5:  A song from a movie starring your favourite actor/actress
Wind Beneath My Wings – Bette Midler
I made a point of collecting every Bette Midler movie I could get my hands on.  Besides her soaring voice, she is an outstanding actress, thriving in comedic roles that require her to use her eyes a lot.  This song is from the Beaches soundtrack, a poignant film that is guaranteed to get the tears flowing each time you watch it.

Day 6:  A song from an animated movie
True Colors – Anna Kendrick & Justin Timberlake
Trolls is probably one of my favourite animated films, and certainly a favourite of recent years.  I love its message of self-acceptance and this song from the soundtrack epitomises that message: “don’t be afraid to let them show, your true colors, true colors are beautiful like a rainbow”.

Day 7:  A song from a South African movie
Superhero – Eden
I enjoyed the Afrikaans take on Glee, As Jy Sing, and ended up purchasing the soundtrack.  As cheesy as this song might be, it is still a winner that I can never get tired of.  It also has personal meaning to me so I crank up the volume whenever I hear it.

Day 8:  A song from an LGBT movie
Finally – CeCe Peniston
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert has to be one of the best “gay” themed movies (and stage productions) of all time.  It is one that can be watched over and over; similarly, the soundtrack is the ultimate compilation of disco and dance hits that will have your feet tapping – at a minimum.  I was so excited when I got to hear CeCe perform the song live at Albany Pride a few years ago.

Day 9:  A song from a movie sequel
Empire State of Mind – Alicia Keys
Once again a song that is relevant to me at the moment as I prepare to return to the Empire State, the “concrete jungle where dreams are made” (I refuse to include the grammatically incorrect “of” at the end of that line). The song is featured on the Sex and the City 2 soundtrack.  Again, it may not be the best sequel but  it is great entertainment for SATC fans.

Day 10:  A theme song from a James Bond movie
Skyfall – Adele
I will admit, Madonna’s Die Another Day came very close but if I am being completely honest, Skyfall is my favourite Bond theme.  Adele does a fantastic job, delivering a song that feels appropriate for the 21st century Bond as well as paying homage to classic Bond.


Comments