7 Songs About Rain

Let It Rain


South Africa, and indeed the world, is well aware of the water crisis in Cape Town and surrounding areas.  The dreaded Day Zero is on everyone’s minds and lips and most people have implemented drastic water saving measures (shame on those who haven’t).  Since I am a firm believer in the power of music, I have compiled a list of the seven best songs about rain to encourage and inspire us and maybe even Mother Nature.

“If you build it, they will come” is an iconic line from the Kevin Costner film, Field of Dreams.  Perhaps  this is a case of “if you listen, it will pour”.  Let’s hope so.

Rain – Madonna
One of her most beautiful ballads from the highly underrated Erotica album (which celebrated its 25th anniversary last year!).  In in, Madonna highlights the cleansing and healing power of rain: “Wash away my sorrow / Take away my pain”.

Here Comes The Rain Again – The Eurythmics
Believe it or not, this song was released in 1984, appearing on the Touch album.  It’s a song with a sad, nostalgic undertone and references to tragedy, but includes an optimistic view of the restorative power of love, as symbolised by the rain.

Only Happy When It Rains – Garbage
The song became a breakthrough single for the alternative rock band that did extremely well on the charts.  Although the meaning behind the song is a little dark (“Pour your misery down on me”), I chose it because  of the title – I think we would all be more than happy if it rained.

Singin’ In The Rain – Gene Kelly
Taken from one of the most successful musicals of all time, Singin’ In The Rain starring Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds, this is a classic song about the “glorious feeling” that rain can elicit.  

Rain On A Tin Roof – Little Big Town
The sound of rain on a tin roof has to be one of the most comforting and relaxing sounds, especially after a devastating dry spell.  I also love the poetic chorus:  “Her love’s like rain on a tin roof / Sweet song on a summer time storm / And the way that it moves you / It’s a melody of passion raging on”.

I Love A Rainy Night – Eddie Rabbitt
Following on from the previous song, this classic party hit from 1975 mentions the joy that a rainy night can bring: “…It’s such a beautiful sight / I love to feel the rain on my face / Taste the rain on my lips”.  I think Capetonians were both surprised and thrilled to feel the rain on their faces on New Year’s Eve last year.

Let It Rain – Tracy Chapman
Ah, I can always rely on the soothing sounds of Tracy Chapman to make me feel better.  In this track, taken from the album with the same title, she asks for hope “that help is coming” when she needs it most.  She sings about the rain flooding the streets which indeed would bring much-needed hope to the people of the Mother City.


Comments