30 Day Music Challenge Part II


Day 1
A song about a famous person
She’s Madonna – Robbie Williams.  You know there is a very good chance that any music challenge will start and/or end with a Madonna-related song.  I have always loved this quirky Robbie song from the equally quirky Rudebox album.

Day 2
A song about sunshine
Pocketful of Sunshine – Natasha Bedingfield. I was drawn to this song when it first came out and it has stood the test of time.  Btw, whatever happened to Natasha?

Day 3
A TV show theme song
I Don’t Want To Wait – Paula Cole.  Ah, the intro of this song immediately takes me back to Dawson and the gang from Capeside.  The show recently celebrated its 20th anniversary and to mark the occasion, Entertainment Weekly reunited the main cast for the cover of its April 6/13 issue.

Day 4
A song that you can fall asleep to
Caribbean Blue – Enya.  The soothing sounds of Enya are guaranteed to help you unwind after a long and stressful day.

Day 5
A song with an animal in the title
Black Cat – Janet Jackson.  I do enjoy Rhythm Nation Janet and this is a fantastic 80s classic from that album.

Day 6
A song that no one would expect you to like
Love The Way You Lie – Eminem feat. Rihanna.  I wouldn’t consider either of these artists favourites.  But there is just something about this song that moves me.

Day 7
A song about a dessert
Ice Cream – Sarah McLachlan.  “Your love is better than ice cream / Better than anything else that I’ve tried”.  Better than ice cream?  That must be some pretty deep love.

Day 8
Your favourite song at this time of the year
I Dream of Spring – k.d. Lang.  This challenge started at the tail end of winter so it felt most appropriate to choose a song about the promise of spring.  Plus I had just seen her live in concert, where she performed the song.

Day 9
A song about the city in which you live
New York City Boy – Pet Shop Boys.  I could have chosen I Love New York by Madonna but that would have been too predictable, right?  I also happen to love this ode to the Big Apple from the Pet Shop Boys.

Day 10
A song that makes you LOL
What Does The Fox Say – Ylves.  I found this song (and the accompanying video) extremely funny when it was first released. 

Day 11
A song to listen to while doing house work
Work B*tch – Britney.  A hot body and a Bugatti are great motivations for getting work done.

Day 12
A song that you want played at your funeral
Your Long Journey – Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.  A bit of a morbid category but I love this collaboration from their Grammy award-winning album Raising Sand.

Day 13
A song featured on an episode of “Glee”
Rumour Has It / Someone Like You – Glee Cast.  This was a difficult one to narrow down, given that I am a huge Glee fan who has every Glee album that was released. I’m also a big fan of mashups so in the end, I chose this as one of my favourites.

Day 14
A song from your favourite album
Nothing Really Matters – Madonna.  Ray of Light is (dare I say) one of the best albums of all time and certainly one of the many highlights of Madonna’s illustrious career, earning her four Grammy wins from six nominations.  I was and still am crazy about the Geisha-and-Japanese-inspired music video, a theme that was carried through to her Drowned World Tour.

Day 15
A song for a braai
Raak Vir My Rustig – Snotkop.  Chop en dop, kom sit terug / Chill n bietjie stap stadig / Sit n, sit n, sit n, sit n, tjoppie op die vuur en / Raak vir my rustig”.  I mean, this song was written with a lekker braai in mind (I can smell the meat every time I listen to it).

Day 16
A song you know all the words to
Fast Car – Tracy Chapman.  I got to know Tracy Chapman’s music very well when I was doing research for my Honours thesis, which examined her lyrics as socio-economic, cultural and political narratives.  I have also used this song as a listening activity in my classroom so its not surprising that I know all the words.

Day 17
A sexual song
Erotica – Madonna.  The title track from an album that was ahead of its time, which also introduced us to Madonna’s dominatrix alter ego, Dita Parlo.  Give it up, do as I say / Give it up and let me have my way / I'll give you love, I'll hit you like a truck / I'll give you love, I'll teach you how to” <insert moaning here>.

Day 18
A song that reminds you of someone special
One Call Away – Charlie Puth.  This song reminds me that, no matter what, there is someone out there who will “save the day” when I need them. 

Day 19
A song that reminds you of a special place
West Coast – Lana Del Rey.  Although she is referring to the West Coast of the United States, the song reminds me of one of my favourite parts of South Africa, the scenic West Coast (specifically Langebaan and Paternoster).

Day 20
A song for a cocktail party
Smooth Operator – Sade.  Although I am not a big fan of jazz, the smooth sounds of Sade are the perfect soundtrack for a sophisticated cocktail party.

Day 21
A song that your parent(s) liked
Teenage Queenie – Pussycat.  This song has been a requisite part of any family party ever since I can remember, guaranteed to get those who can to langarm around the floor.

Day 22
A song that reminds you of high school
Mysterious Times – Sash! Feat. Tina Cousins.  There is something about this song that takes me back to my high school years, when raves and techno music were still new to me.  I also think the title is pretty apt since high school was a mysterious time.

Day 23
A song that reminds you of your sibling
Dance Like There’s No Tomorrow – Paula Abdul.  My sister has been passionate about dancing since she was a teenager so this song reminds me of her.  She also loves the show So You Think You Can Dance, on which Paula Abdul was a judge.

Day 24
A feminist song
Woman’s World – Cher.  An empowering anthem from Cher in which she “tells the truth”: the world in fact belongs to women.  The music video also features some crazy Cher wigs.

Day 25
A song that makes you want to travel
Roam – The B 52s.  I love the freedom that the song suggests: “Roam if you want to, roam around the world / Roam if you want to, without wings without wheels”.

Day 26
Your favourite song in another language
Kinders Van Die Wind – Laurika Rauch.  Laurika is a national treasure and this classic hit of hers is one of my favourite Afrikaans songs of all time.  I was privileged to see her perform it live.

Day 27
A song about fashion
Fashion – Lady Gaga (featuring RuPaul).  This is one of two Gaga songs titled fashion and the wonderfully bizarre performance from the duo on a Muppets’ Holiday Spectacular is a classic.

Day 28
A song with a fruit in the title
Eat a Mango – Mango Groove.  This is both a ridiculous and catchy track from the album with the same name.  I have been a Mango Groove fan since their inception – they were the first band I saw perform live.  So they will always have a special place in my heart.

Day 29
Your current favourite song on your phone/iPod
The Story – Dolly Parton.  Dolly does a brilliant cover of the powerful Brandi Carlile song.  Is there anything Dolly can’t sing? (that is a rhetorical question).

Day 30
A song that is your personal anthem
This Is Me (Dave Audé Remix) – Greatest Showman Cast. 
“When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
I am brave, I am bruised
I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
Look out 'cause here I come
And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
I'm not scared to be seen
I make no apologies, this is me”

Comments