Def Dames Dope

The Cassette Comeback


The cassette tape is attempting to follow in its vinyl predecessor’s footsteps by staging a comeback on the music scene.  A number of “cool” artists are now releasing their albums on cassette.  Indeed I have noted the sale of many second-hand cassettes in record stores and at vinyl markets.  In addition to CD players and USB ports, many contemporary record players include tape players, which is a pretty cool feature for those of us who have held onto tapes from their childhood and teen years.  However, I don’t think that the revival of the cassette is likely to equal that of vinyl.

The other day I decided to listen to Def Dames Dome on tape – talk about a flashback!  I remember loving this tape as an adolescent and I found that hasn’t changed some 25 years later (yikes!).  DDD was an all-female group from Belgium. The band originally comprised 3 members, sisters Larissa and Axana (nicknamed Snake) and Yousra (nicknamed TRS).  Larissa then left the group and Ingrid (nicknamed H2O) and Edith (nicknamed Tabasco) joined.

Released in 1993, this album is the epitome of 90s techno but it also featured some pretty awesome rap (it is very rare for me to use those two words together).  The most famous single from the album was It’s OK, All Right, a song about having a good time no matter who you are or how you look, and one which remains a firm favourite on my 90s playlist. One of my favourite lyrics in the song is: “No matter how you look, how you dress, how you smell / Us gonna jam from heaven to hell”.  Check out the video for terrific 90s moves and fashion: It's OK, All Right

But the all-female group also had a strong feminist message in their work.  For example, they turn the tables on a patriarchal view of women in You’ve got it wrong, I’ve got it right: “I’m more than just a girl who makes your world turn around…I know what I want, I know how to get it”.  Feminine independence is also championed in Ain’t Nothin’ To It, as they call on fellow “girlies” to “Decide what you like, you live your own life”.

There were also commentaries on social injustice and inequality.  In I’m Gonna Show You the possibility of overcoming racism with love is explored: “Just give me you hand / Let’s go to a land / Where colours don’t matter”.

Don’t Be Silly is a catchy tune that promotes safe sex with lyrics that were scandalous to my 13-year-old ears (and probably those of puritanical parents in the early 90s): “Hey you don’t be silly, put a condom on your willy (yeah yeah yeah yeah)”.  I dare you to listen to this song and not have it stuck in your head for the rest of the day.

Next on my list of tapes to revisit: Crazy Dance Party which promises “19 of the funkiest, weirdest, most wonderful dance tracks around”.  Does anyone else remember Swamp Thing, Everybody’s Gonfi Gon, Doop and Meet The Flintstones? These were so much fun back in the 90s and I’m pretty sure that enough time has passed for them, like the cassette on which they appear, to be "kiff" again.



Comments