In Praise of the Paperback


Source: terrygotham.com

I have always dreamed of having my own library, with books on shelves that stretch from the floor to the ceiling, complete with a ladder to climb up – or perhaps a two-level library with a narrow spiral staircase leading to the upper floor.  Visiting famous libraries such as the Library of Trinity College in Dublin, the Morgan Library and Thomas Jefferson’s Library only fueled my dreams of building a beautiful, extensive library in my home.  These sites left me awestruck and reaffirmed my love of the printed book.

There are those who will try to convince me that a Kindle is a necessary replacement for the paperback – it is cheaper, it is easier to carry and read (especially at night with its light settings), and it takes up less space than a bunch of bulky books.  But none of these arguments will convince me that a Kindle is a better option. Ever.  When it comes to books and reading, I am a traditionalist.  I relish the feeling of holding the book in my hands, of flipping through the pages and inserting bookmarks, and seeing rows and rows of books proudly displaying their varied spines on shelves.  I love watching my collection of works by my favourite authors grow as I add my finds from markets or dusty old bookstores.

I recently came across a “bookstore cafĂ©” in our neighbourhood called Topos.  Outside: a table with an array of used books for $1. Inside: the smell of freshly-brewed coffee mingled with the smell of second-hand books.  And a handful of hipsters.  I thought, what could be better than leisurely browsing hundreds of second-hand books and then enjoying a pastry and a cup of coffee (or tea in my case) while paging through one of said books.  Bookstores offer more than literature; they offer an experience.  For me, a Kindle cannot replicate or replace that experience.


The Strand Bookstore is arguably New York City’s biggest and most famous bookstore; The New York Times called the store “the undisputed king of the city’s independent bookstores."  The Strand, located in the East Village, offers book lovers “18 miles of books”.  One you step inside the store, you are welcomed by seemingly countless rows of bookshelves and piles and piles of inviting books on display – on multiple floors.  The best part is that you can find what you’re looking for at a reasonable price.  The only downside to the store is the danger of losing track of time as you meander up and down the rows of books in search of “the one”.  Again, a Kindle is no substitute for this particular NY experience.



The main branch of the New York Public Library (located in a beautiful Beaux-Arts building guarded by two stone lions) is one of my favourite places to visit.  The stunning foyer with its impressive staircases provides the perfect welcome to what the rest of the library has in store: expansive reading rooms (the famous Rose Main Reading Room being the most remarkable), magnificent murals, ornate chandeliers and light fittings and most importantly, significant collections of books.  In addition, the NYPL regularly has free exhibitions that are always fascinating to visit (currently: Shared Sacred Sites and Remembering the 60s).


I am sure Kindle users will sing its praises but they will be falling on deaf ears because I will remain a proponent of the printed book.  As such, I concur wholeheartedly with the following sentiments by Lauren Martin in her article titled Why A Book Will Always Be Better Than A Kindle (elitedaily.com):

“Life moves fast and just because everyone seems to be gravitating towards a life of electronic screens and wireless connections doesn’t mean you have to leave everything behind. Save some of the past; keep the good things alive. Relish in the decadent and simple beauties man creates, rather than conceding to all the advances the masses say are better”.

Comments

  1. As every disaster movie sees NYC being damaged, at least with your Kindle you will know that your library of books is safe in your hand as you hasten away from the imminent doom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment