New Amsterdam Festival 2018


The historic Vander Ende-Onderdonk house was the site of the second annual New Amsterdam Festival on Saturday, 5 May.  The house, located on the border of Brooklyn and Queens, is the oldest Dutch Colonial stone house in New York City and is also a museum that provides visitors with insight into the history of the region as well as Dutch Colonial culture.  There are archaeological artifacts from the Onderdonk site on display in the museum along with a recreation of the house’s dining room and parlour (complete with historical reenactments in colonial attire) and its original kitchen downstairs. Visitors to Saturday’s festival were able to peruse the house at their leisure which added an enjoyable educational dimension to the festival’s programme. 

The gardens on site provided the perfect setting for the festival.  Picnic benches under the blossoming trees created a scenic spot in which to enjoy one of the ciders on sale (I really enjoyed my “Kinda Dry” cider from Brooklyn Cider House but did not get a chance to try any of the cider from Bridge and Tunnel Brewery unfortunately) while tapping your feet to the the sounds of the Brooklyn Bluegrass Collective.  Besides the great live entertainment, there were several stalls selling all kinds of things from soaps to candles, hot sauces to honeys.  There were plenty of activities for children including face painting, Knockerball (a game in which players are strapped into giant inflatable spheres and attempt to knock each other over) and other children’s games, which seemed to be a hit with children of all ages.  To be honest, it was refreshing to see children playing games that did not involve electronics of any kind (does that make me sound old?). 

I have to mention, however, that I was very disappointed with the variety of food available – or rather, the lack thereof.  For a Dutch festival, there was a noticeable absence of Dutch food.  While I’m sure the Jamaican food, tacos and ceviche on sale were tasty, none of those options seemed to gel with the Dutch theme of the festival.  My heart was crushed when I realized there would be no stroopwafels or poffertjies – or any Dutch sweet treats for that matter.  Did I miss the cheese on sale? That was not gouda (couldn’t resist the cheesy pun). For me, food is at the heart of any festival and unfortunately this festival left me wanting (literally) in that area.

Having said that, I think the concept is a great one and the festival certainly provided a fun outing on a fine spring Saturday afternoon.  I can only hope that it will continue to grow and become a highlight on Ridgewood’s social and cultural calendar.  And that I can get me some stroopwafels next year!

Comments