Top 10 Songs of 2018


The time has come… (not to lip sync for my life – although the list of songs below has inspired lip-syncing throughout the past year)…to announce my top 10 songs of 2018.  As always, it is a pop-centric list of hits that spans a diverse group of artists.



10.  Head Above Water – Avril Lavigne
The comeback song that Avril Lavigne fans were waiting for – and she did not disappoint.  She's come a long way since her Sk8r Boi punk rock days and this sweeping ballad showcases Lavigne’s softer side with beautiful harmonies, gentle strings and moving lyrics.
Favourite line: So pull me up from down below / 'Cause I'm underneath the undertow /
Come dry me off and hold me close / I need you now I need you most

9.  Paradise – George Ezra
I was (and still am) a huge fan of George Ezra’s first big hit, Budapest but he surprised me, in the best possible way, with Paradise.  Ezra’s deep voice (along with a catchy stutter) and a foot-tapping bassline make for one of the best pop songs of the year.
Favourite line: If it feels like paradise running through your bloody veins /
You know it's love heading your way

8.  Missing U – Robyn
Taken from her album Honey, Missing U was Robyn’s first solo release since her brilliant Body Talk project back in 2010.  Besides being a post-break-up song, the title was also a direct message to her adoring fans who had been patiently (or not-so-patiently) waiting for the Swedish songstress to release new music. 
Favourite line:  I keep digging through a waste of time / But the picture's incomplete

7.  I’ll Be There – Jess Glynne
I have been a Jess Glynne fan since her collaboration with Clean Bandit on Rather Be.  This was the first single from her second studio album, Always In Between.  I’ll Be There has a distinct country undertone (which seems to be the case with a couple of songs on my list this year) which compliments its awesome pop sound.  It also has a comforting message that is similar to that of Dolly’s Dumplin’.
Favourite line:  When you need a little love, I got a little love to share

6.  Nothing Breaks Like A Heart – Mark Ronson featuring Miley Cyrus
Although this single was only released at the end of November, it was love at first listen and I have the song on repeat in the days following its release.  The track feels like it could have featured on her Younger Now sessions - just the right combination of country, pop beats and Miley’s signature husky harmonies.
Favourite line:  This world can hurt you / It cuts you deep and leaves a scar / Things fall apart, but nothing breaks like a heart

5.  Shallow – Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
A Star is Born is hands down the soundtrack of the year (all of which was recorded live).  Gaga and Cooper created magic on screen and on all of the tracks from the film. This song was one of many highlights, from the scene in the film in which Ally first joins Jackson on stage to perform a song that she wrote and which essentially launches her career.  Other favourites from the soundtrack are Always Remember Us This Way and the tearjerker, I’ll Never Love Again.
Favourite line:  Crash through the surface, where they can't hurt us / We're far from the shallow now

4.  Here I Am – Dolly Parton featuring Sia
An unexpected collaboration from two of the best songwriters of all time from the soundtrack to the film Dumplin’. Dolly’s iconic country flavour blends seamlessly with Sia’s distinctive vocals to create a stunning song that became a favourite from the first time I heard it.
Favourite line:  Here I am, oh here I am, here I am / If you need a helping hand, need someone to understand

3.  Dancing – Kylie
The first single from the highly-anticipated Golden album – definitely one of my favourites of 2018.  The accompanying video, featuring Kylie in cowboy boots and rhinestones and line dancing, was a preview of the Kylie’s dip into country waters – an extremely successful one in my opinion.  Dancing is a catchy, feel-good song about the power of dancing to lift one’s spirits.
Favourite line: And when the final curtain falls, we could say we did it all /
The never ending of a perfect day

2.  Stom – SuRie
Storm was the UK’s entry for this year’s Eurovision contest and is everything that a Eurovision song should be.  It was also an inspiring song about the temporal nature of the storms in our lives (certainly pertinent to my turbulent year).  I dare you to listen to the song and not feel like you can conquer the world – and dance as you do.
Favourite line:  Storms don't last forever, forever, remember / We can hold our hands together / Through this storm

1.  Chiquitita – Cher
I could have selected every track from Cher’s amazing album of ABBA covers but Chiquitita is my favourite.  Cher does this song, and the other nine hits, justice, capturing the optimistic essence of the original while simultaneously adding the indefinable Cher magic. Runners-up for my favourites from the album are S.O.S., Gimme Gimme Gimme, and Fernando.  I cannot wait to see her perform these and others live in concert next year.
Favourite line:  But the sun is still in the sky and shining above you / Let me hear you sing once more like you did before / Sing a new song, Chiquitita

Comments