My Favorite Things

My Five Favorite Things...Right Now
/ March 2019



Lust by Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl remains one of my favourite authors.  I first fell in love with his inventive storytelling when our Grade 4 teacher read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to the class.  After my first taste of Roald Dahl, I devoured as much as I could – The Witches, Matilda, The BFG, Esio Trot, James and the Giant Peach.  Then, as I got older, I began to read his short stories, most of which have a dark and unexpected twist at the end.  Lust is a collection of such twisted tales, each with an underlying theme of sexual desire and impulses, ranging from wife swapping and an aphrodisiac that turns men into insatiable beasts to a horrifying discovery after a night of passion and a scandalous act of revenge.  It is a fantastic reminder of his prowess as a master storyteller.


Sucker – The Jonas Brothers
Social media has been buzzing about the release of the new Jonas Brothers’ single, Sucker.  And with good reason.  The driving beat with its clapping and bro harmonies, and some whistling thrown in for good measure, is incredibly catchy.  The music video is also camp and colourful with everything from a Jonas brother in a bubble bath to a Jonas brother in bondage, set against the backdrop of an OTT garden tea party slash crazy dinner party.  I’m excited to hear what else the new album has to offer.


Alfajores from Jessy’s Pastries
Caramel, in all its forms, is my weakness and the melt-in-your-mouth dulce de leche cookies from Jessy’s Pastries are little bites of heaven.  They come in four delicious flavours, namely classic, coconut (sprinkled with coconut flakes), Nutella and a rum-infused dulce de leche filling.


The Face The Body – Trinity The Tuck
While Trinity The Tuck, winner of Drag Race All Stars season 4, is not a singer, she is a polished performer (and my favourite to win the season from the beginning) and her electro-pop single is a winner baby.  The music video is a nod to Gaga’s foray into alien realness and sees a goo-covered Trinity emerge from an alien pod before serving several fierce looks, and is a visual reminder of her talent (not to mention her jaw-dropping tucking skills).


Mini Quiches from Whole Foods
This trio of mini quiches is perfect for parties, a picnic snack or a lunch time nosh.  One box includes fifteen of the bite-sized quiches with three tasty fillings, namely three cheese, spinach florentine and mushroom (though I am not a fan of mushrooms – at all – so I tend to skip these ones). 


Comments