My Favorite Things

Five Favorite Things...Right Now
/ April 2019



Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
I must confess that I read an Agatha Christie novel for the first time this year (watching the film adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express starring the ever-brilliant Michelle Pfeiffer doesn’t count).  And Then There Were None was a real page-turner and so is Death on the Nile.  It’s a delightful murder mystery set against the backdrop of post-colonial Egypt and features several characters whose lives intersect while traveling onboard a luxury cruise down the Nile.  But when Linnet Ridgeway, a wealthy heiress, is shot, almost everyone on board is a suspect and it’s up to detective Hercule Poirot to solve the murder.  I'm officially a fan.


All The Songs by Will Young
I was super excited to hear that Will had a new album coming out and when I heard the first single, I realized how much I’d missed new Will music (it has been 4 years since 85% Proof was released!).  The song about love and heartbreak gradually builds to a soaring chorus that makes you want to dance away your pain.  The video shows a saucier side to Will who adopts several personas, including biker, sailor, cowboy and businessman, each of whom strip down to…well…nothing. 


Hit Me by Conchita Wurst
Tom Neuwirth’s has bid farewell to his alterego, the long-haired diva Conchita Wurst.  While his new single features the name Wurst, the singer is unrecognizable in the video for Hit Me, sporting short platinum hair and a matching beard.  He has said: “I feel like I want to create a new persona… with the bearded lady, I have achieved everything I wanted since the Song Contest victory.”  What hasn’t changed, however, is his incredible voice.  Here’s hoping there will be even more awesome dance tracks on the new album.



McCrea’s Caramels
“A handcrafted collection of traditional and unexpected” caramels from Boston are absolutely delectable, with unusual flavours such as single malt scotch, black lava sea salt, ginger fusion and rosemary truffle sea salt as well as traditional ones including vanilla and deep chocolate. 


Macarons from Eli Zabar
According to Eli Zabar’s website, the food store was  “inspired by the food halls and markets of London and Paris” and has become “an institution on Manhattan's Upper East Side.”  While I haven't tried much of their extensive offerings, I can say that their giant French macarons are heavenly, just the right combination of light and airy and chewy.  Needless to say, the caramel flavour (filled with smooth and creamy caramel) was an instant hit with me.

Comments