Reflecting on a Decade


I guess it hadn't sunk in that in a few days, we will be entering a new decade. My thirties are coming to an end (how did that happen?) and what a rollercoaster of a decade it's been.  Recently I've been told that I'm "living my best life" and, as I look back on the past 10 years, I think that that's an accurate statement.  It's not about selfies and Instagram likes though.  It's about making the most of every opportunity you're given and working your ass off to make things happen instead of sitting back and waiting for them to happen.  It's about finding joy in the small things and continuously saying to the Universe "thank you, more please".  It's about living the concluding lines of Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson: "Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will / To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield".

The decade has also come full circle for me:  it started with a life-changing Fulbright scholarship that had me packing my bags and moving to the United States and experiencing life as a full-time college student and ended with permanent residency in the same country.  In between there were also four magical years in Cape Town which provided a lot of self-growth and opportunities to meet some incredible people.  It hasn't always been an easy ride, with a number of physical and emotional low points and, while I am proud of my resilience, I must acknowledge my remarkable family and friends around the world who have been my cheerleading squad, cheering for me to get back up again when I've been knocked down...much like a Chumbawamba song.

So as the decade comes to a close, I have been doing some reflection on what the last 10 years have meant to me and what I have learnt.

I visited 40 US States and 11 countries.  These opportunities to see the world have been without a doubt the highlights of this decade.  From sipping sangria in Spain to bathing in the baths of Budapest, from visiting World Heritage Sites to seeing iconic works of art - each destination opened my mind and nourished my soul. 

I lived in 4 cities, from a sheltered coastal city on the east coast of South Africa to one of the most exciting and intimidating cities in the world, with a lot of packing and unpacking, emotional goodbyes and exploring in between.  I survived mountains of bureaucracy and periods of soul-crushing uncertainty in pursuit of my dreams.

I completed 1 Master's degree and taught at 3 schools, occupying leadership roles at each.  From elementary ESL students to Advanced Programme English high school students, these teaching opportunities allowed me to meet so many talented, inspiring, hard-working, and, at times, infuriating students who taught me so much in return for what I (hopefully) taught them.

Despite my anxiety about public speaking, I successfully delivered several speeches to halls filled with students, parents and colleagues.

I got 4 tattoos.

I realised my dream of being published in a national magazine, not once but several times.

I saw 14 shows on Broadway; seeing tremendously talented Tony Award winners Bette Midler (in Hello, Dolly!), Billy Porter (in Kinky Boots) and Andrew Garfield (in Angels in America) were 3 highlights.

I met several celebrities and high-fived Ruby Rose on national television.

I learned that "no" is an answer, putting yourself first is not selfish and most of what we worry about never happens.  And if it does, we're stronger than we think.

I lost some hair and gained a few wrinkles.

I watched my nephew grow up from a toddler, knocking on my door to ask for sweeties, to a talented, smart and funny young man, and welcomed several little people into my family.

One by one I ticked off the artists I'd always wanted to see live: Alanis Morissette, Celine Dion, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, Dolly Parton, Fleetwood Mac, Kylie Minogue, Lady Gaga, P!nk, Roxette and Shania Twain.

I saw Madonna live 3 times.

And, to quote her Madgesty, I found peace and finally enough love.

Here's to another 10 years of striving, seeking and finding.


Comments