Celebrating Céline Dion

 ...and some of her lesser known gems


Iconic Quebecois Canadian singer Céline Dion turns 53 today!  She is known for her global hits such as The Power of Love, Think Twice, Because You Loved Me and of course My Heart Will Go On.  She also holds the record for the two highest grossing concert residencies for her Vegas shows A New Day (2003 to 2007) and Céline (2011 - 2019) - a total of $641,570,076.  Throughout her career she has won many awards, including 5 Grammys.  In addition, she has been on hugely successful tours around the world for over 30 years, playing in over 2000 shows.  In fact, the last live show I saw before the pandemic shut everything down was her Courage tour back in December 2019 - and it was everything I'd hope it would be and more!

In honour of her birthday, I've put together a list of my favourite lesser known but no less amazing Céline songs from her discography:

Refuse To Dance (The Colour of My Love)
This song gives me Kylie Confide In Me vibes, especially the high notes of the chorus.

Misled (The Colour of My Love)
This is funky, no-nonsense Céline that could have been a funky, no-nonsense Janet Jackson song.

Falling Into You (Falling Into You)
The title track from her 1996 album.  I love the percussion on this silky smooth ballad.

Your Light (Falling Into You)
I like the 80s rock ballad energy of this song, a nice contrast to the love songs on the album.

Treat Her Like A Lady (Let's Talk About Love)
Celine dabbles in reggae?  It shouldn't work but it does.  It features Diana King, the Jamaican artist who co-wrote the song.

Ten Days (A New Day Has Come)
A great guitar-infused pop song - I love the harmonies on the chorus.

Coulda Woulda Shoulda (One Heart)
An upbeat pop song about not playing it safe and living life without regrets: "Just throw in everything you've got / 'Cause in love, there's no holding back".

Fade Away (Taking Chances)
I love the strings at the heart of this song which give way to a powerful chorus.

That's Just The Woman In Me (Taking Chances)
Just a touch of country on this track makes it a stand-out for me.

Alone (Taking Chances)
A compelling cover of Heart's 80s classic.

At Seventeen (Loved Me Back To Life)
I really like the percussion on this song which deals with the struggles of high school for those who are not part of the popular crowd.

Somebody Loves Somebody (Loved Me Back To Life)
A song that showcases an edgier Céline with snappy strings and a driving drum beat.

Flying On My Own (Courage)
A live version (recorded in Vegas) was released as a digital download after her record-breaking residency ended.  To be honest, I prefer the live version to the studio version that ended up on the album.  Also check out Dave Audé's incredible remix of the song.

Heart of Glass (Courage) 
Not a Blondie cover in case you were wondering.

Nobody's Watching (Courage)
A song about wanting to give zero fucks: "I wanna sit like nobody's listening / I wanna talk like nobody cares / I wanna party like a Belieber / I wanna wear whatever I wear".





Comments