New Music: 7 Songs You Should Be Listening To

                                         
It's once again time to update my new music playlist.  As I predicted in my previous Slice, 2021 is shaping up to be a great year for incredible music, and I'm sure the trend will continue as summer approaches.  It's going to be a hot one on the dancefloor.

I Can't Dance - Darren Criss

According to Darren Criss, his  second character-driven single is about a “half masc, half fem, half bad b*tch, half brazen baller… This song is an ode to both those we love to hate and those we hate to love. What can I say, I live for dualities.”  He subsequently described the song as a "funky track inspired by the finest of grooves popularized in the late 70s and early 80s".  I can't wait to hear what's next from him.

Starstruck (Kylie Remix) - Years & Years Feat. Kylie Minogue

I have been a Years & Years fan since I first heard their hit single, King, which went to number 1 on the UK singles chart in 2015.  Years & Years is an electropop project that originally comprised five members when it was formed back in 2010 before later becoming a trio.  Now the solo project of Olly Alexander has released a remix of his latest hit featuring the inimitable Kylie Minogue.  Vulture (very accurately) describes the single as "a track destined to be a dance-floor anthem once we reach herd immunity".

Leave Before You Love Me - Marshmello & The Jonas Brothers

When I first heard this collaboration between American electronic music producer and DJ, Marshmello, and pop sensation The Jonas Brothers, it reminded me of a song but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  And then I realized it was Wham!'s iconic Christmas hit, Last Christmas - I challenge you to listen to the chorus without hearing "this year, to save me from tear's, I'll give it to someone special".  It's an 80s-inspired pop-rock track that talks about heartbreak: "“Dancing on the edge ’bout to take it too far / It’s messing with my head how I mess with your heart / If you wake up in your bed alone in the dark / I’m sorry / Gotta leave before you love me".

Got Me - Laura Mvula

Laura Mvula is back with a brand new vibe and I couldn't be happier, especially after her previous album was somewhat disappointing - except for the...phenomenal track, Phenomenal Woman.  Music Musings & Such asserts that it is a "brilliant and soulful jam...that you will want to come back to time and time again".

24 Hours - Agnes

Swedish singer Agnes is back with a dancey new single (and a triangular yellow wig reminiscent of Krystle Carrington's hairdo) from her as yet untitled album.  She said the following about the song: “Something extreme had to happen for you to wake up and see clearly. It's a sliding door moment and you choose the path forward, it's about 24 Hours.”

Jackson - Trixie Mattel Feat. Orville Peck

This Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash classic has been covered by Drag Race All Stars winner Trixie Mattel and alt-country artist Orville Peck for the former's EP Full Coverage, Vol. 1.  I was slightly obsessed with Trixie Mattel's cover of Lana Del Rey's Video Games last year and she does not disappoint on this foot-tapping hit overflowing with personality and charm.

Met Him Last Night (Dave Audé Remix) - Demi Lovato Feat. Ariana Grande

I wasn't sold on the original version of the song but, as always, Dave Audé takes the single to a whole other level with his 80s-esque dance mix.  The song deals with Demi Lovato's  period of recovery and the reality of giving into temptation along the way: ""I've seen the devil, yeah, I met him last night / One conversation, now he's spendin' the night / I think I love him, though I know it ain't right".




 


Comments