New Music: 7 Songs You Should Be Listening To

The first part of 2021 has been a little slow when it comes to music in my opinion, especially when compared to the deluge of incredible music in 2020, which made choosing my top 10 songs of the year a very challenging endeavour.  However, there have been some phenomenal releases in the past few weeks that suggest that 2021 could still shape up to be a memorable one for music.  So I thought I'd share seven of my favourite new tracks.

Daniel - Will Young
I was thrilled to hear that Will is releasing a new album, Crying on the Bathroom Floor, later this year.  It is an album of covers from artists such as Robyn, Lykke Li, Everything But The Girl and London Grammar.  About his decision to record songs by contemporary female artists:  "“After 18 years of recording and performing a lot of original material, I loved the idea of creating an album that celebrates some of the modern female artists I so admire in pop".  Daniel was originally released by Bat For Lashes as the lead single from her second album, Two Suns, in 2009.

Please - Jessie Ware
I don't use the word "banger" often but there is no other word that accurately sums up this new disco-infused track from Jessie Ware which will be included on a deluxe edition of her critically acclaimed 2020 album, What's Your Pleasure.  Tom Breihan from Stereogum sums up the instant appeal of the single:  "The song has hooks on top of hooks, and listening to it feels like being back in a crowded, dark nightclub even if it’s really just a Sunday Wednesday morning in the late pandemic era".

Mr Haze - Texas
I have been a huge Texas fan since the release of Southside back in the late 80s.  They never disappoint.  Mr Haze has been described by TotalNtertainment as "a soul-soaked Motown belter driven by a Donna Summer sample".  This is the second single from their 10th album, Hi, which features 14 tracks originally recorded during the White on Blonde sessions in the mid-90s.

Boy Talk - Fear of Tigers
I came across this gem by accident.  Someone I follow on Twitter described it as "Into the Groove for the 21st century" - and he hit the nail on the head!  Since I didn't know much about the artist, I checked out their Soundcloud profile, where Ben, the talented individual behind the project for the past 10 years, outlines his mission to make "original, urgent, life affirming music" and invites listeners to "find a few secrets waiting...in the hearty soup of the Fear of Tigers cosmos".  Count me in!

Imagine - Ben Platt
Ben Platt is a singer and Tony-award winning performer who has starred in Broadway productions of The Book of Mormon and Dear Evan Hansen (the latter earned him the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical).  Imagine was released in April this year and I was drawn to it from the first listen.  Rolling Stone describes the pop track as "both tender and confident" and a "tribute to everyday saviors — the people who lift others up in times of darkness".  His voice sounds incredible (as always) and the accompanying music video is beautifully choreographed.

You - Troye Sivan, Tate McRae & Regard
This dance pop track was produced by DJ Regard and features Troye Sivan and 17-year-old Canadian singer Tate McRae on vocals.  The duo's voices compliment each other perfectly as they sing about being unable to let go of someone after a breakup:  "When I try to fall back, I fall back to you / When I talk to my friends, I talk about you / When the Hennessy’s strong, all I see is you".

F*kn Around - Darren Criss
Glee alum Darren Criss released this unapologetic anthem in early April.  He described the meaning behind the song on Instagram:  "Something of a head-noddin’ middle finger anthem to those triflin’ people in your life that, despite yourself, you keep finding yourself putting up with... All driven by the attitude of that same simple, driving, dirty bass groove".

Comments