Sheryl Crow Live

I liked Sheryl Crow's debut album, Tuesday Night Music Club, and the hit single All I Wanna Do.  But it wasn't until her second self-titled album was released in 1996 that I loved Sheryl.  I was obsessed with A Change Would Do You Good with its catchy chorus and offbeat lyrics as well as Everyday Is A Winding Road, Hard To Make A Stand, which was not released as a single but should have been, and Maybe Angel (with the amazing verse:  "My sister, she says she knows Elvis / She knows Jesus, John Lennon and Cobain personally / Well, I'm too wise to believe my eyes / 'Cause all I've seen just terrifies me / But I believe they're coming back for me").  Since that album Sheryl has had many hits (and some misses), won a bunch of awards, recorded a Bond theme song, performed at the 2008 Democratic National Convention, shared the stage with countless musical legends and beaten breast cancer.   

Some of the musical highlights for me, in addition to the entire second album, include the tender ballad I Shall Believe (from Tuesday Night Music Club and also appearing on the Roswell soundtrack years later), There Goes The Neighborhood (from The Globe Sessions), her cover of Guns and Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine, the summer anthem Soak Up The Sun, her version of Cat Stevens' The First Cut Is The Deepest, We Oughta Be Drinkin' (with it's tongue-in-cheek lyrics: "But some nights are made for staying at home / And roll a big fat blunt and watching Nashville alone / But tonight it sure feels like we oughta be drinkin") and the feminist anthem Prove You Wrong (a duet with Stevie Nicks from her final album, Threads).

Sheryl is currently on tour and I was fortunate to see her perform at The Beacon Theatre in NYC.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear our seats had been upgraded from the upper balcony to orchestra seats just 10 rows from the stage, which offered an unobstructed view of the icon.  She strutted onto the stage in heeled ankle boots and black leather pants (which she jokingly said is "a commitment" at her age - though it is hard to believe that she is about to turn 60!). The audience were on their feet from the opening song and only sat down for some of the ballads.  Indeed it was difficult to stay seated with the energy she projected from the stage.  It was clear that all she wanted to do was have some fun - and the post-lockdown, vaxxed crowd definitely shared her sentiments.

The complete setlist was a follows:

Everyday Is a Winding Road

All I Wanna Do

In the End

Everything Is Broken

Leaving Las Vegas

Strong Enough

Riverwide

My Favorite Mistake

Be Myself

There Goes the Neighborhood

The First Cut Is the Deepest

Cross Creek Road

Shine Over Babylon

Crash and Burn

If It Makes You Happy

Real Gone

Soak Up the Sun

Encore:

It Don't Hurt

A Change Would Do You Good

I Shall Believe / What the World Needs Now Is Love


Comments