Best Remixes of 2021

2021 produced several kickass remixes that elevated some of my favourite tracks of the year to a whole new level - without losing the essence of what I loved about the originals (I loathe remixes that deconstruct a song to the point that it is barely recognizable except for a handful of words from the chorus).  In no particular order, my favourite mixes of the year are:

Jolene (Destructo Remix) - Dolly Parton 

This was an unexpected surprise to round off a year of amazing remixes.  A Dolly-approved dance mix of her seminal 1974 hit by DJ Destructo (aka Gary Richards), who said the following about mixing the song:  "It is a true classic not only for country music but American music. I’ve always felt its lyrics and melody could be the bones to build a real dance floor banger around. Something to sing along to while getting your dance on. I’m beyond thrilled being given the opportunity to remix one of the greatest songs of all time and that Dolly loves it. She is a national treasure and to be able to have the world hear my version of it with her behind it is a blessing.”

Mr Haze (GBX & Paul Keenan Remix) - Texas

Listen:  Mr Haze (GBX & Paul Keenan Remix)

This is a fantastic banging remix of the catchy, soulful track from the latest Texas album, Hi, courtesy of GBX's George Bowie.  The remix also got Sharleen Spiteri's stamp of approval:  "My daughter and I were in the kitchen when we listened to it and were just like 'Yeah!!!' I sent George a text saying 'This is F***ing brilliant'".

Met Him Last Night (Dave Audé Remix) - Demi Lovato Featuring Ariana Grande

Listen:  Met Him Last Night (Dave Audé Remix)

Dave Audé always understands the assignment.  I have never heard a Dave Audé mix that I don't like instantly and his mix of Demi Lovato's emotion-laden song about temptation is no exception.  Filled with driving synths that give the remix a fabulous 80s vibe, it is club-ready perfection - it has also been nominated for a 2022 Grammy for Best Remixed Recording.

Imagine (Tiësto Remix) - Ben Platt

Broadway meets EDM and I am here for it!  Another one of my top tracks from the year, Ben Platt's Imagine was masterfully remixed by Dutch DJ and producer, Tiësto.  The remix adds cheerful synths and dance beats that elevate Ben's compelling vocals rather than overshadowing them.

Indestructible (Sudlow Remix) - Will Young

Listen:  Indestructible (Sudlow Remix)

One of three songs from Will Young's covers album, Crying On The Bathroom Floor, that were given the Sudlow treatment (the others being Daniel and the title track).  I think this one is my favourite; I love the slow build-up to the banging chorus that makes me want to find the nearest dancefloor with "hands up in the air like we don't care".

Higher Power (Tiësto Remix) - Coldplay

Listen:  Higher Power (Tiësto Remix)

Tiësto had a great year.  His remix of the Coldplay single, Higher Power, was way better than the original version in my opinion.  Karlie Powell from YourEDM wrote:  "The producer works his progressive magic, matching his own grade of dance with Coldplay’s singalong-style mass appeal. With epic builds and releases, the song has never sounded more powerful as two major acts join forces in this genre-bending banger".

Real Groove (Claus Neonors Remix) - Kylie Minogue

Listen:  Real Groove (Clause Neonors Remix)

Kylie released her disco-inspired masterpiece, Disco, last year but this incredible mix by Claus Neonors, a Danish DJ and producer with a "fetish for Nu Disco/Indie Dance and DeepHouse", was released in January 2021.  

What The Future Holds (7th Heaven Remix) - Steps

Listen:  What The Future Holds (7th Heaven Remix)

The title track from Steps' sixth album got the 7th Heaven treatment and appears on the deluxe edition of What The Future Holds Part 2.  7th Heaven are the self-proclaimed "world’s number one name for pop remixes", a title which they certainly live up to with this and other mixes from the last two Steps albums. 

Miss Chatelaine (Iron Hoof Remix) - k.d. Lang Featuring Orville Peck

Listen: Miss Chatelaine (Iron Hoof Remix)

Orville Peck delivers a brilliant mix of a k.d. Lang classic, lending his deep voice to the song's intro.  According to Nonesuch Records, k.d. Lang reached out to Peck and says his remix of Miss Chatelaine "marries his music with my own beautifully. Orville and I have a lot in common and similar perspectives; I was honored when he agreed to remix one of my songs".  She says she is "thrilled" with the result - and so am I!

I Want Love (twocolors Remix) - Jessie J. Featuring Billy Porter

Listen:  I Want Love (twocolors Remix)

This particular remix by twocolors featured on my "songs you should be listening to right now" list earlier this year and has remained a favourite throughout the year.  The Berlin-based duo say they are "constantly exploring in search of sonic excellence and magic" and definitely brought some of that to this mix.


Comments