Glorious Gloria


Sam Smith's fourth studio album debuted at #1 on the Official UK Album Chart while also racing to the number one spot in Australia and Ireland.  The album was preceded by the singles Love Me More, the massive collaboration with Kim Petras, Unholy, and Gimme.  Jamieson Cox from Pitchfork argues that Gloria offers listeners something that we have come to expect from a Sam Smith album, namely "the thrill of a gifted vocalist", while at the same time it showcases the confidence of "an emotionally generous diva who likes to dance, loves out loud, and can’t resist a gratuitous string section or a gospel choir".

Sam shed some light on the album's title at their recent appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon:  "It's a word that's meant a lot to me throughout my life. The Laura Branigan gay anthem, Gloria, is something I've always heard in gay clubs. Then 'Gloria' in school through singing hymns and stuff. But for me, Gloria is something that I've called a spirit inside of me that says to me: 'Keep going. You've got this. Carry on.' It's like a fighter spirit within me that I call Gloria."  All of these sentiments are woven together throughout the album, from the gospel choir motif to the empowering lyrics and the overarching message that Sam has finally found a way to love themself more.

Here is my track-by-track take on Gloria after my first listen.  I got the Target edition of the album which includes two bonus tracks.  Spoiler alert: I love it!

1.  Love Me More

The perfect song to open the album as it outlines Sam's journey towards self-acceptance and self-love: "Every day I'm tryin' not to hate myself / But lately, it's not hurtin' like it did before / Maybe I am learning how to love me more".  These empowering lyrics, along with the introduction of the aforementioned choir, make this one of my favorite tracks on the album.

2.  No God

A smooth, soulful song reminiscent of early Sam Smith but expressing their newfound confidence. The jazz vibe didn't quite resonate with me at first but the track has grown on me since then.

3.  Hurting Interlude

4.  Lose You

And this is where the party starts.  A fantastic banger featuring Sam's crystal clear vocals over a pulsating dance beat.   The upbeat tempo contrasts with the sad narrative of someone trying to cling to a failed relationship.

5.  Perfect

Another song with standout lyrics that explore the desire for a more meaningful relationship above the empty thrills of the nightlife, along with some honest introspection:  "I'm not perfect but I'm worth it" / "I wear my flaws like jewelry and I'm dripping".  I could do without the electric guitars, however.  It features Canadian singer-songwriter Jessie Reyez, who collaborated with Sam on the amazing 2018 hit, Promises.

6.  Unholy

The megahit gave Sam their first US number one.  It has also received a nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance at this year's Grammys.  Alli Patton of American Songwriter summed up the song perfectly by describing it as "deliciously debaucherous."

7.  How To Cry

After the high of Unholy we come back down to earth with a tender, stripped-down ballad about repressed emotions and keeping it real with an ex.  It's good but not great.

8.  Six Shots

This RnB-infused track was not an instant favorite either.  I found the vocal acrobatics excessive, although the chorus, with its extended whiskey simile, offers some redemption: "I'm like a whiskey, you can feel it  / Hit so strong but taste so sweet".

9.  Gimme

I love the repetitive and catchy refrain courtesy of Jessie Reyez.  The sultry tropical-pop track also features a reggae verse from up-and-coming Jamaican artist, Koffee.

10.  Dorothy's Interlude

11.  I'm Not Here To Make Friends

This is a disco-infused synth pop gem which shines even brighter with the OTT music video, which has received criticism and backlash for its overt sexual imagery - mostly from narrow-minded hypocrites.  The beginning of the song includes RuPaul's iconic words: “If you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gon’ love somebody else?”

12.  Gloria

A soaring hymn reminiscent of a Gregorian chant in which Sam's vocals float about those of the choir.

13.  Who We Love

The album ends with a tender love song featuring Ed Sheeran.  It's a song with a "love is love" theme that provides a quiet but important message to conclude the album's narratives.

14.  Heavenly Sent (bonus track)

A touching ballad about the endurability of a loving relationship: "You never fail, you never leave / Baby, you're always steady for me / You never pained, you were my strength / Baby, wherever you came from must be heavenly sent".

15.  Kissing You (bonus track)

I was thrilled to hear Sam's version of the Des'ree song, Kissing You (the love theme from Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet).  They certainly do justice to the song; it is simply stunning.

Comments