90 Songs From The 90s

 

The 90s is (once again) enjoying a revival in pop culture, perhaps helped by the fact that so many seminal albums and movies of the era have been celebrating milestone anniversaries over the past few years, prompting special re-releases and anniversary editions.  It's hard to believe that it's been 30+ years since the start of the 90s; for those of us who grew up in that era, it feels like just yesterday and the recent revival of the decade has led me down a nostalgic 90s path.

Take, for example, That 90s Show. I was very skeptical when I heard about the  spin-off of the popular That 70s Show which aired from 1999 to 2006.  But I have to say that really enjoyed the show, particularly the sassy quips from Ozzie (played by Reyn Doi).  I also love the references, both direct and indirect, to the show's predecessor, such as Fez's catch phrase, "I said good day", and the Vista Cruiser.  The plot centers on Leia Forman (Eric and Donna's teenage daughter, played by Callie Haverda) who is spending the summer with her grandparents, Kitty and Red, in Point Place ("hello Wisconsin!").  Of course she makes new friends and a love interest in the form of Jackie and Kelso's son, Jay Kelso (Mace Coronel), and they all spend most of their time in the infamous Forman basement.  

The show is a lot of fun - and surprisingly funny - with plenty of references and nods to notable 90s moments.  As a fan of Beverly Hills 90210, a show that defined my teenage years, I loved the 90210-inspired episode, featuring a cameo by Brian Austin Green.  The show also had me revisiting my extensive 90s playlist.  It is impossible to rank my favorites, so I have decided to share them alphabetically.  For those of you who are old enough to remember the 90s, enjoy the musical stroll down memory lane.

1. All I Wanna Do – Sheryl Crow
2. All That She Wants – Ace of Base
3. Angels – Robbie Williams
4. Always – Erasure
5. Any Man Of Mine – Shania Twain
6. Everybody (Backstreet’s Back) –Backstreet Boys
7. Barbie Girl – Aqua
8. Be My Lover – La Bouche
9. Believe – Cher
10. Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve
11. Black Or White – Michael Jackson
12. Breathe – Kylie Minogue
13. A Change Would Do You Good – Sheryl Crow
14. Common People – Pulp
15. Confide In Me – Kylie Minogue
16. Constant Craving – k.d. Lang
17. Cotton Eyed Joe - Rednex
18. Deeper And Deeper – Madonna
19. Doctor Jones - Aqua
20. Don’t Speak – No Doubt
21. Dreams – The Cranberries
22. Erotica - Madonna
23. Fading Like A Flower – Roxette
24. Free – Ultra Nate
25. Frozen – Madonna
26. Give Me One Reason – Tracy Chapman
27. Hand In My Pocket – Alanis Morissette
28. Here With Me – Dido
29. Hold On – Wilson Phillips
30. Human Nature – Madonna
31. I Don’t Want To Wait – Paula Cole
32. I Love You Always Forever – Donna Lewis
33. I Try – Macy Gray
34. I Want You – Savage Garden
35. I’m Like A Bird – Nelly Furtado
36. Ironic – Alanis Morissette
37. It Must Have Been Love - Roxette
38. It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay – Whitney Houston
39. It’s OK, All Right – Def Dames Dope
40. Joyride – Roxette
41. Just Like A Pill – P!nk
42. Justified And Ancient – The KLF Feat. Tammy Wynette
43. Justify My Love – Madonna
44. The Key, The Secret – Urban Cookie Collective
45. Last Thing On My Mind – Steps
46. Little Bird – Annie Lennox
47. Livin’ La Vida Loca – Ricky Martin
48. Losing My Religion – REM
49. Lovefool – The Cardigans
50. Love To Hate You - Erasure
51. Man! I Feel Like A Woman – Shania Twain
52. Me – Paula Cole
53. Miss Chatelaine – k.d. Lang
54. Moving On Up – M People
55. Mr Vain – Culture Beat
56. My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
57. Never Be The Same Again – Melanie C
58. One By One – Cher
59. One Of Us – Joan Osborne
60. Rain - Madonna
61. Ray Of Light – Madonna
62. Saturday Night (Be My Baby) – Whigfield
63. Say What You Want - Texas
64. Secret – Madonna
65. Shocked – Kylie Minogue
66. Show Me Love - Robin S. and Sandeville
67. The Sign – Ace of Base
68. Slave To The Music – Twenty 4 Seven
69. Somebody’s Crying – Chris Isaak
70. Strong Enough – Cher
71. Summer Son – Texas
72. Take A Bow – Madonna
73. Thank U – Alanis Morissette
74. Thank You – Dido
75. That Don’t Impress Me Much – Shania Twain
76. Torn – Natalia Imbruglia
77. Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden
78. Vogue – Madonna
79. Waiting For Tonight – Jennifer Lopez
80. Walking On Broken Glass – Annie Lennox
81. Wannabe – Spice Girls
82. We Like To Party – Vengaboys
83. (We Want) The Same Thing – Belinda Carlisle
84. What Is Love - Haddaway
85. Where Have All The Cowboys Gone – Paula Cole
86. Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You) – Pet Shop Boys
87. Who Let In The Rain – Cyndi Lauper
88. Wicked Game – Chris Isaak
89. Yodelling Song – Tanita Tikaram
90. Your Woman – White Town

Comments