The Tortured Poets Department

After months of anticipation and speculation Taylor Swift released her 11th studio album (if we're not counting the 4 re-released albums), The Tortured Poets Department - which turned out to be a surprise double album with a total of 31 tracks.  Even before the album's official release, it was clear that it was going to be big.   The album's countdown page on Spotify broke the record for most pre-saves in history.  In terms of vinyl sales, 700 000 copies were sold within the first week of the album's release, breaking Taylor's own record for vinyl sales in a single week.  TTPD is also the most-streamed album in a single day in history as well as the first album in Spotify history to exceed 1 billion streams in a single week!

I pre-ordered three of the four deluxe CDs, each of which includes a double jewel case CD album with collectible front and back cover art, bonus track (The Manuscript, The Albatross and The Bolter), a magnet, a patch, an inscribed bookmark and four collectible photo cards. For some unknown reason I did not order The Black Dog which, and I knew that, as a collector, the incomplete collection was going to haunt me.  So I resorted to ordering The Black Dog version from eBay (at a price that wasn't too obscene given what some sellers are asking).  Of course, I also got 2 of the vinyl versions, each of which include a collectible 24-page book-bound jacket with three replicas of Taylor Swift's handwritten lyrics unique to each vinyl and never-before-seen photos.

I have to say that I LOVE the album's aesthetic - the neutral/dark tones and the literary imagery and, as always, her attention to detail in the way the themes and design all come together to create a beautiful work of art.  I also love the sound of the album which doesn't fit neatly into one particular genre; it feels like a satisfying amalgamation of several genres that she has explored throughout her career.  Indeed, Ann Powers from NPR suggests that TTPD "blends all of her previous approaches without favoring any prevailing trend" with "rap-like, conversational verses, the reaching choruses, the delicate piano meditations, the swooning synth beats".  The main focus, as always, is on Taylor's storytelling prowess.  Though, if I'm being honest, I was really hoping for an album with heartbreak-on-the-dancefloor bangers.

I finally had the time to sit down and fully absorb and process the album (only the 16 songs and bonus tracks from the CDs - I'll get to the rest of The Anthology another time).  Here is a ranking of my ten favorite tracks:

10 | The Alchemy

A sparkling love song filled with the most optimism in relation to the other tracks.  There is some speculation that words and phrases like “touchdown,” “winning streak” and “the league" and “Where’s the trophy? / He just comes running over to me / Touchdown!” in the bridge are references to Taylor's new beau, Travis Kelce.

9 | Who's Afraid Of Little Old Me?

A track that warns her enemies not to underestimate her, a connection to the theme explored in Vigilante Shit and many of the tracks of her Reputation era.  

8 | But Daddy I Love Him

I think this track is one of three on the album that echo early country-pop Taylor (the others being Guilty As Sin and I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)) - but with a lot more life experience to add weight to the lyrics. And I'm here for it!

7 | So Long London

A song that stands out by featuring what Finn McRedmond from The Irish Times perfectly describes as an "arresting gallop with a pulsing, high-tempo synth" and "irresistible buttery" vocals from Taylor.

6 | The Tortured Poets Department

The title track that references typewriters, Dylan Thomas, Patti Smith, the Chelsea hotel - and Charlie Puth - over subtle synths and light drums.

5 | Florida!!!

Taylor and Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) exchange lines in this unlikely duet that features jarring drum beats after they belt out "Florida!!!" (hence the exclamation points).  Taylor has said she was inspired by watching true crime shows and wanting to escape somewhere when "your life doesn’t fit or the choices you’ve made catch up to you and you’re surrounded by these harsh consequences and judgment".

4 | Down Bad

A moment of pure pop pleasure that is easy to get lost in.  Billboard's Jason Lipshutz points out that " [Jack] Antonoff’s zapped beat winds itself up, the melody chimes, and Swift’s voice quivers through the exasperation...The most minimalist moments of Midnights have led to Down Bad, one of its follow-up’s easiest wins".

3 | Fortnight

I was hooked (pun intended) as soon as that catchy synth hook opens the track, which features Post Malone.  I also love the monochromatic music video, which is as haunting as the song, featuring Taylor and Post Malone as ex-lovers who are dealing with the fallout from the breakdown of their 2 week relationship.  The video also features cameos from Ethan Hawke and Josh Charles, who starred in Dead Poets Society.

2 |  My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys

I love how the synths and drums all come together to create a big song with an instantly catchy melody that fits the sense of frustration she expresses from her feelings getting hurt over and over.

1 | I Can Do It With A Broken Heart

This is the closest to the aforementioned dancefloor banger that I needed.  The song also gives us some insight into the sometimes heartbroken Taylor behind the sequins and smiles in the spotlight ("Lights, camera, bitch smile"), who has to pretend that everything is fine, illustrated by the fake synth-driven pep of the chorus: "I'm so depressed I act like it's my birthday, every day".




Comments